WELCOME TO Sottoguda
Hotel La Montanara, our passion since 1966
If you’re looking for a friendly little place far from the madding crowd where the glories of nature cast a spell of peace and serenity, Hotel La Montanara in Sottoguda will conquer your heart at first glance.
At the foot of Mount Marmolada, nestling between Arabba and Val di Fassa, Sottoguda will charm you with its traditional Alpine architecture, balconies bursting with flowers, carefully stacked woodpiles, the mountain stream and the breeze rustling the leaves of the trees lining its banks, all against a backdrop of Mount Marmolada. In this little corner of paradise you will experience the sheer joy of an active, reinvigorating mountain holiday, savouring the outdoor life, with umpteen things to do for both singles and families with children.
Hotel La Montanara is the perfect destination for both summer and winter holidays in absolute peace and quiet, ideally placed for a first-hand experience of the magical Dolomites, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Numerous hiking trails start near the hotel in Sottoguda, taking you to Malga Ciapela, along the way discovering the amazing Serrai canyon carved out by Mother Nature, whose waterfalls freeze over in winter, a magnet for ice-climbers from every corner of the world. In the summer you can take a trip to the canyon aboard the little sightseeing train trenino dei Serrai.
If you want to combine your break in Marmolada with a little sightseeing, visiting the Dolomites most iconic sites and drinking in some truly breath-taking views from Val Gardena and Val Badia, or sampling the more sophisticated dolce vita in Cortina, these and many other places are with easy reach via the famous Dolomite mountain passes.
La Montanara in brief
- Run by three generations of the Dell'Antone family
- Gourmet restaurant serving local specialities, with a terrace beside the mountain stream, bar and gelateria selling home-made artisan ice-cream
- Spectacular hiking trails leaving from right outside the hotel, no need to get into your car
- In a picturesque Dolomite little town with its traditional rustic Ladin architecture still intact in unspoilt natural surroundings.
- A strategic position in the heart of the Dolomites, not far from Cortina, Arabba, Corvara, Ortisei and many more places besides.
- Fast links to the ski slopes of Sellaronda and the Giro della Grande Guerra (Great War Tour)
- At the foot of the Marmolada Glacier, with the largest glacier in the Dolomites and where you can ski well past the normal winter season
- An unforgettable ski-trail leading back to the hotel through the natural parkland of Parco Naturale dei Serrai di Sottoguda